|Scope & Content||
On September 21, 1958, the Highway 20 spur was opened between Sharpe's Corner and Commercial Avenue in Anacortes.
Almost 41 years later, House Joint Memorial 4002 was sponsored by Jeff Morris of Sedro-Woolley to name that portion of the highway in honor of Paul Luvera, Sr. The March 15, 1999, SKAGIT VALLEY HERALD carried a front page article and photo titled, "A new name for this stretch of Highway 20?" The article, continued on page A8, detailed the life of Paul Luvera, Sr., in Anacortes and his many acts of community service. Luvera served in the Washington State Senate 1953-1957 specifically to convince the state Legislature to fund the $1.5 million for the new highway spur up the hill from the lower road which periodically flooded at extreme high tides. "Luvera lost a bid for re-election ...because a faction in the community preferred a $4.5 million proposal for upgrading the existing highway. Luvera took the cheaper and sure route because the Department of Transportation had the money in its coffers. Accruing money to build a trestle would have taken five years, and then could have been siphoned away for another state project."
|Title||article about re-naming Highway 20 spur|
|Caption||naming Hwy. 20 spur for Luvera, pg.1|
LUVERA, Paul, Sr.
SKAGIT VALLEY HERALD
Highway 20 Spur
Place - Anacortes, WA
Communication - Newspaper
Structure - Highway