|Scope & Content||
This abstract of title was for lots 1 - 10 of Block 198 of the original plat of the City of Anacortes. The first 56 pages were completed on January 20, 1923, and the additional 4 pages were created November 29, 1926. W.H. Beard was the abstractor for Skagit County Abstract and Trust Company.
The first record of note was a certified copy of receiver's receipt from George D. Hill dated August 26, 1872. He also received a patent for 167.05 acres from the Land Office in Washington, D.C., on October 1, 1875. On July 26, 1886, George and Ellen K. Hill took out a mortgage of $5000. The mortgage was satisfied on June 22, 1889. On September 24, 1887, HIll was paid $700 for fir, spruce and cedar timber to be taken from his land by May 1, 1889. A trust deed between Hill and Joseph F. and Jennie E. McNaught was made May 24, 1888. For $1000 Hill made a warranty deed on September 15, 1875, to Edward S. Smith for lands he held in Whatcom County.
A deed was signed on April 21, 1877, by Edward and Mary A. Smith selling real estate to Richard D. and Almira E. Rice for $8000. On July 7, 1880, a quit claim deed relinquished the land to Albert S. and Frances W. Rice for "a valuable consideration."
Edward S. Smith reacquired the land from Rice on November 29, 1884, with a quit claim deed. Joseph F. McNaught then bought the land with a warranty deed signed June 9, 1882, for $4256.50.
A Warranty deed between the McNaughts and J.M. and Ann C. Buckley was signed July 7, 1882, for a 25% interest in lands in Whatcom County for $1064.125. On November 7, 1882 the McNaughts sold another 25% interest to Bailey and Babette Gatzert for the same amount of money.
On December 3, 1890, McNaught paid back taxes of $58.67 to Skagit County in order to keep the county from acquiring it.
A warranty deed was filed June 5, 1889, by the McNaughts, Gatzerts, and Buckleys conveying for $1 "and other valuable considerations, land to Elijah Smith.
The Buckleys gave power of attorney to Bailey Gatzert on January 10, 1890. On December 26, 1889, Fannie B. Curtis gave power of attorney to Melville Curtis for the plat of Anacortes only. Elijah Smith granted power of attorney to H.W. McNeill on January 6, 1890 for platting Anacortes only.
On January 15, 1890, the plat of Anacortes was signed by Elijah Smith, George D. Hill, Melville and Fannie B. Curtis, C.T. Conover, Thomas B. and Sarah M. Childs, Amos and Anne C. Bowman, Joseph F. and Jennie E. McNaught, J.P. and L.J. Hoyt, David and Anna L. Kellogg, Samuel F. Storrs, J.M. and Ann C. Buckley, and Bailey and Babette Gatzert. It was filed by Skagit County of January 21, 1890.
Elijah Smith signed a deed with Seattle and Northern Railway Company on August 19, 1893, for 1/2 interest in lot 5 and west 1/2 of lot 4.
Joseph and Jennie McNaught sold to Bailey Gatzert and James M. Buckley all of Block 198 on January 27, 1890.
A special warranty deed dated November 23, 1892, sold to the Gatzert-Schwabacher Land Company for $10,800.00 lands owned by Louis and Bella Schwabacher, Abraham and Sarah Schwabacher, Sigmund and Rose Schwabacher, and Bailey and Babette Gatzert.
On April 14, 1902, Sigismund Aronson was involved in a foreclosure of delinquent tax certificates on lots 1 - 8 of Block 198. He bought lots 1 - 8, fractional lot 9, and lot 10 at a public sale of real estate held on August 29, 1903. On December 15, 1902, Anna C. Buckley (widow) filed a quit claim deed on lots 1 - 14 in Block 198. On September 30, 1903, Aronson filed a quit claim deed on the lots he acquired the previous month to the Gatzert-Schwabacher Land Company. On June 30, 1911, the land company filed a warranty deed to Glenn H. and Mabel L. Wilkins for lots 1 - 10 of Block 198.
A quit claim deed was filed by Washington and Great Northern Townsite Company to the Gatzert-Schwabacher Land Company for lots 1 - 10 of Block 198 "except right of way of Great Northern Railway Company." It was filed October 28, 1913.
On October 20, 1914, a mortgage was signed by Wilkins for $300, selling lots 1 - 10 to Bethold E. Borges. The mortgage was satisfied on January 26, 1915.
On February 16, 1923, R. E. Trafton and Glen H. and Nell B. Wilkins signed a mortgage selling lots 1 - 4 to H.O. Davey for $1500. Davey obtained a partial release of mortgage on the lots on May 3, 1923. The mortgage was satisfied on November 24, 1924. A warranty deed was signed May 3, 1923, by Wilkins conveying to R. K. St. Pierre lots 1 - 10 of Block 198.
|Title||Abstract of Title|
|Caption||Abstract of title, cover|
ARONSON, Eva M.
BORGES, Bethold E.
BOWMAN, Annie (aka Anna, Anne) CURTIS
BUCKLEY, Ann C.
BUCKLEY, James M.
CHILDS, Sarah "Sallie" Morris CURTIS
CHILDS, Thomas Bromley "Brom", Dr., DDS
CONOVER, C. T.
CURTIS, Fannie Backus WRIGHT
DAVEY, Henry O.
GOODWIN, John N.
HILL, Ellen K.
HILL, George D.
HOLYOKE, Aaron B.
HOYT, J. P.
HOYT, Lettie J.
KELLOGG, Anna L.
McNAUGHT, Jennie E.
McNAUGHT, Joseph F.
McNEILL, H. W.
RICE, Albert S.
RICE, Almira E.
RICE, Frances W.
RICE, Richard D.
SMITH, Edward Samuel Fisk
SMITH, Mary A.
ST. PIERRE, R. K.
STORRS, Samuel F.
TRAFTON, Richard E.
WILKINS, Glenn H.
WILKINS, Mabel L.
WILKINS, Nell B.
Abstract of Title
Lots 1 - 10
quit claim deed
Place - Anacortes, WA
Organization - Government
Communication - Records/Ledger