Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1252.A,B,C,D
Caption 6th Street - Commercial to Q
Description This view is of the north side of 6th Street between Commercial and Q avenues. Left to right: ANACORTES CITIZEN (newspaper), Elks Building. The ANACORTES CITIZEN began c. 1907. The newspaper was listed in the 1912 city directory as being on "6th Street between Commercial and Q." The address was 913 6th. Joseph O. McNary was the proprietor and editor. On 3-26-1927, the CITIZEN merged with the ANACORTES MERCURY as the DAILY MERCURY-CITIZEN. The Elks Building was built in 1915. In 1920, due to increased membership the Elks purchased the three lots that were occupied by the ANACORTES CITIZEN building. On 3-25-1922, work began on an addition to the Elks Building, adding a third floor and an addition on the west side; the building reopened 8-2-1922, just in time for Anacortes' lodge and its 1260 members to host the Washington State Elks Convention. See WF 0585. This image may have been taken by Charles Judd and copied by Brady.
Date 1918, c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Structure - Business
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms 6th Street
Anacortes Citizen
Elks Building
Anacortes Daily Mercury, The
Daily Mercury-Citizen
Washington State Elks Convention
Object Name Print, Photographic