Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0086.001.A,B
Description View of northeast Anacortes, Cap Sante, Guemes Island from Columbian School. View is dated by the apparent absence of McNaught Building on Commercial Avenue, (building was moved there in 1904), as well as notation of "Cowing Cannery" on front of photo. On 5-4-1899 the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Mr and Mrs L. H. Cowing of Astoria have arrived in Anacortes and will make it their future home. Mr. Cowing has assumed charge of the office work of Rosario Straits Packing Company." Cowing started Cowing Cannery that year; it was out of business by 1902. This is a good view of homes and small truck farms on "Nelson Addition," that area of Anacortes south of 10th and P/Commercial Avenue. Almost a separate community through the 1890s, the people of the Nelson Addition formally announced in the 4-12-1906. ANACORTES AMERICAN that they objected to that designation for their neighborhood. From now on, they decided, they would be "known as South Anacortes." Good view of road network extending from downtown area to Columbian School, as well as railroad trestle over western edge of Fidalgo Bay. See WF 0091 for a similar view.
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
View/Scenic
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Cap Sante
Guemes Island
Columbian School
McNaught Building
Cowing Cannery
Nelson Addition
railroad trestle
Rosario Straits Packing Company
Object Name Print, Photographic