Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2007.010.020
Caption W.T. Preston with snags at Ballard Locks
Description W. T. PRESTON carrying logs and snags; Ballard Locks in background.

The wood-hulled snagboat W. T. PRESTON was built c. 1929, using some components (sternwheel and engines) of the vessel it replaced, the SWINOMISH. The W. T. PRESTON, named for the only civilian engineer then working for the Corps of Engineers, served the Corps form 1929 to 1939, pulling snags out of Puget Sound waterways and local rivers. A new steel-hulled, 163' W. T. PRESTON was then built at the Lake Union Drydock in Seattle, again using material from the wooden boat it replaced. In 1981 the W. T. PRESTON, "last Puget Sound sternwheeler" was retired. She went on display in Anacortes in 1983.
Date 1981/10/
Subjects Maritime - Boat
Place - Ballard Locks
Credit line Donated by Pam Negri
Place Ballard, Washington
Search Terms snagboat
Ballard Locks
Object Name Print, Photographic