The Russian Cement Plant was located on Guemes Channel at the foot of Erie and Dakota avenues. The glue industry in Anacortes utilized the waste products of the fish canneries to produce glue. Directly west of this plant was Robinson Fisheries. Robinson was the earliest fish cannery on record to begin making byproducts of the fish canning industry such as fertilizer, fish oil, and glue which they started in 1897. It is quite possible that the Russian Cement Plant, which began making glue, fertilizer, fish oil, etc. in 1907, took over this portion of Robinson's operation. [See 10-12-1911 ANACORTES AMERICAN]
On 2-27-1913, the paper reported Anacortes had shipped "100 tons fish glue" and "750 tons fish fertilizer" that year. In 1916 the Russian Cement Plant became Marani Products Company which also continued to make glue.
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|