Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1541
Caption 1937 Marineer Parade - Luvera's Grocery boat float
Description This boat float from Luvera's Grocery is parked on a side street before or after the 1937 Marineer Parade. Paul Luvera (1898-1990) started his grocery on November 22, 1922 on the ground floor of the Blackmore Building, at 702 Commercial. The structure was built as the Blackmore Building c.1890; later known as the Hensler Building, owned by Gus Hensler. Luvera's father Nicolas, was a native of Reggio, Calabria, Italy, he immigrated to Canada as a child and brought his family to Anacortes in 1918. Nicolas, who died in 1956, worked in the store with his son Paul, a business that had a variety of different names over the years: Luvera's Fruit and Grocery, Luvera's Grocery, etc. In 1953 the Blackmore building and Luvera's store was extensively remodeled including removing the 2nd story from the building. Paul Luvera retired in 1957. See other views of this float at WF 1446, 1542.
Date 1937
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Event - Marineer Pageant
Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Event - Parade
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Marineers' Pageant
Parade
Float
Boat
Luvera's Grocery
Luvera's Store
grocery
702 Commercial Avenue
Blackmore Building
Hensler Building
Empire Building
Object Name Print, Photographic