Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0245.A,B
Caption Commercial and 7th
Description View looks north on Commercial Avenue from 7th Street. Two different dates are stamped on back of photo, but by checking with 1920s Anacortes city directories, the date appears to be between 1922 and 1925. The Keystone Building, built in 1910, is in the right foreground. The structure houses Moyer's Dry Good Store (foreground) and Western Union Telegraph. Note the wooden billboards lining the sidewalk north of the Keystone Building. this empty lot was the site of a huge scrap iron pile to be melted down for the war effort. The Vendome Building is visible on the NE corner of Commercial and 6th. Just north of the Vendome, the Merchants Cafe and the Rose Theater are seen; the Rose Theater was demolished in 1928. The McNaught Building on NE corner of 5th and Commercial is also visible. On the left side of photo, Kerney's 5-10-15 Cent Store is visible, just south on the two-story Shannon Building (built in 1899). The Pioneer Building is visible on the NW corner of Commercial and 6th housed Luvera's store, and the Empire Building on NW corner of 5th and Commercial is also seen. Note paved surface of the street and the street "dividers" that are seen at intersections in lieu of pavement stripes. For other views of these "dividers", see WF 0247.
Date 1922 -1925 c.
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Place - Commercial Avenue
Structure - Business
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Commercial Avenue
Keystone Building
Moyer's Dry Good Store
Western Union Telegraph
wooden billboards
Vendome Building
Merchants Cafe
Rose Theater
McNaught Building
Kerney's 5-10-15 Cent Store
Shannon Building
Pioneer Building
Empire Building
paved street
street divider
Object Name Print, Photographic