Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1298
Caption Washington Park - Havekost Memorial
Description Washington Park is located on the northwest corner of Fidalgo Island. Tonjes H. Havekost (c. 1841 - 12/1911) was a German immigrant who came to Anacortes in 1870 and took a claim in anticipation of the railroad terminus being developed on the north shore of the island. Following his death, the land was acquired by the city of Anacortes. The 10-16-1913, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that the Anacortes City Attorney was serving papers and making arrangements for the city's condemnation suit to acquire 181 acres around Burrows Bay for use as a city park. The 3-4-1926 edition reported that Anacortes resident Douglass Allmond, founder of the ANACORTES AMERICAN, was "instrumental" in acquiring Washington Park and later donated some of his own land to enlarge the park. Allmond's hobby was parks, and he stressed "the necessity of securing suitable wooded park sites on the island before the original stand of timber is destroyed." Other civic groups and individuals helped expand the park. In 1922 the 75-acre Green Point section and adjacent beaches on Rosario Strait were purchased with the help of the Anacortes Improvement Club. The club's enterprising women raised $315 toward the $2500 purchase price through the sale of lemon pies at 25 cents a slice. Additional lands were donated by M. R. Wood and purchased from George Hagadorn and Harry Davidson. The park landscape was altered over the years by logging in the 1890s and 1950s and, in 1990, by a devastating arctic storm that downed 400-year-old trees around Havekost Monument and the boat launch. Further damage from storms in late 2006 also can be seen. This view is of the Havekost Monument erected in October1913 over the grave of Tonjes H. Havekost. It is of Vermont granite and stands twelve feet in height above its cement base. Weighing fifteen tons, a road had to be constructed to haul it from the bottom of the hill to the crest.He built a hotel on the west side of Burrows Bay in 1891 and planned to develop the area. The 9-10-1891, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "At Burrows Bay: New Hotel Being Erected." This monument to him was featured on page one of the paper on October 9, 1913, stating that it marked the last resting place of Havekost's grave, and that it was one quarter mile west of "his old hotel at the base of the hill." It is unknown whether his body was exhumed when the land became the city park.
Date 1930s - c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Structure - park
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Washington Park
Sunset Beach
Green Point
Burrows Bay
Women's Improvement Club
park expansion
Havekost Monument
Object Name Negative