|Caption||Colonel Moraski presenting Captain Sandy Welsh certificate.|
B/W photo of Colonel Moraski presenting Captain Sandy Walsh and the crew of the W. T. PRESTON a Certificate of Accomplishment during the official lay up ceremony at the Locks, October 30, 1981.
The wood-hulled snagboat W. T. PRESTON was built c. 1929, using some components (sternwheel and engines) of the vessel it replaced, the SWINOMISH. The W. T. PRESTON, named for the only civilian engineer then working for the Corps of Engineers, served the Corps form 1929 to 1939, pulling snags out of Puget Sound waterways and local rivers. A new steel-hulled, 163' W. T. PRESTON was then built at the Lake Union Drydock in Seattle, again using material from the wooden boat it replaced. In 1981 the W. T. PRESTON, "last Puget Sound sternwheeler" was retired. She went on display in Anacortes in 1983.
|Date||1981 Oct 30|
Maritime - Boat
|Credit line||Donated by Pam Negri|
WELSH, Virgil "Sandy", Captain
W. T. PRESTON
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|