Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 2581.A,B,C
Caption Columbian Junior High School
Description This view is of Columbian School which was built at 19th and J Avenue. It opened in 1892 and was named for the upcoming World's Columbian Exposition, set to open in Chicago in 1893 to mark the 400th anniversary of "Columbus's discovery of America." The 10-8-1891 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported the cornerstone had been laid for the school, a Gothic creation with a tall bell tower that afforded the best view in town. The 9-5-1892 edition reported, "Columbian School opens for first students." Columbian School, which initially served all grades, became the sole site of Anacortes High School and a Junior High School c. 1923. When the new high school was constructed in 1931, Columbian School became known as the Junior High School. This view shows the building extensively changed from its original appearance. The bell tower that once rose above the center entrance has been removed and replaced by a small square observation deck on top of the building. The round cupola tower has been removed. The entire roofline has been changed as well. Gone are the peaks and the third story on most of the building. A 12-18-1922 ANACORTES AMERICAN article indicated that the tower had been recently removed. The school was demolished in 1965. At that time its cornerstone was opened to reveal copies of the DAILY PROGRESS and the ANACORTES AMERICAN from October of 1892. The Manual Arts Building on the left side of the image burned in the mid-1940s. Also see "First Views: An Early History of Skagit County", p. 95.
Date 1931 c.
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Organization - School
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - School
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Columbian School
belltower
deck
cornerstone
Columbian Junior High School
Object Name Print, Photographic