Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1512
Caption 1947 Marineer Parade - VFW float
Description This image from the 1947 Marineer Parade is of representatives of different branches of the military standing on the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) float. The float has an obelisk-type monument on top and says, "Let us not forget." It is followed by marching military men. VFW formed in 1913 and is one of the largest veteran organizations in the U. S. and has included veterans of every U. S. foreign engagement since the Spanish-American War. Causland Post of VFW formed in Anacortes in 1919; see 7-31-1919 ANACORTES AMERICAN. For another view of the float, see WF 1513.
Buildings include, left to right:
The Bank of Commerce on the southwest corner of Commercial and 6th began in the Platt Building in 1904 and moved to this location in 1926 when this new building was constructed by William McCracken. In 1937, at the height of the Depression, the Bank of Commerce closed. The building remained vacant until it was occupied by People's National Bank in 1939. See the 1-7-1926 and 1-13-1926 ANACORTES AMERICAN. In January 2009 this building is occupied by Gere-a-Deli.
Snyder's Drugs
Kingsley Insurance in the Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost Building
Army-Navy war surplus store in the Foss Building
Date 1947
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Event - Marineer Pageant
Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Event - Parade
Structure - Business
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Marineers' Pageant
Parade
Veterans of Foreign Wars
VFW
obelisk
Bank of Commerce
Platt Building
People's National Bank
Gere-A-Deli
Snyder's Drugs
Matt Kingsley Insurance
Goodwin - Benedict - Havekost Building
Army - Navy war surplus store
Foss Building
Object Name Negative