|Catalog Number||WF 1492|
|Caption||1947 Marineer Parade - Jaycees float|
This image from the 1947 Marineer Parade is of the Anacortes Jaycees float shaped like a boat. A sign proclaims, "Anacortes, Sportsman's Paradise". Another reads, "Jaycees - young men at work." See WF 1491 for another view of the float.
Buildings on 5th Street include Central Furniture (begun here c.1926 through mid-1940s), Shell Station, Louis Beauty Salon (c.1939 - c.1948), City Hall between N Avenue and O Avenue (built 1892). The Bank of Commerce is on the southwest corner of Commercial Avenue and 6th Street; the corner of the Empire Building (built 1905) on the northwest corner is also visible. The Bank of Commerce began in the Platt Building in 1904 and moved to this location in 1926 when this new building was constructed by William McCracken. In 1937, at the height of the Depression, the Bank of Commerce closed. The building remained vacant until is was occupied by People's National Bank in 1939 (as seen in this photo).. See the January 7, 1926 and January 13, 1926 ANACORTES AMERICAN. In January 2013 this building is occupied by Gere-a-Deli.
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Event - Marineer Pageant
Place - Anacortes, WA
Event - Parade
Structure - Business
Transportation - Land
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Louis Beauty Salon
Bank of Commerce
People's National Bank