|Caption||Anacortes American, 1890|
ANACORTES AMERICAN Building located at 10th Street and M Avenue. On 5-15-1890 The ANACORTES AMERICAN reported the American Building was in process of being built. The paper was started by Fred H. Boynton and Douglass Allmond; the first issue appeared on 5-15-1890. At the time of this accession, the business is the longest continually running operation in Anacortes history. See also WF 0049. This building burned down sometime before 1897.
1890 [5-15] first issue of ANACORTES AMERICAN; published by Douglass Allmond and F. H.
Boynton. American Building built at SE corner of 10th and M [back of photo].
1897 [11-25] American offices have moved to room 1 and 2, Post Office [Platt] Building.
1900 ANACORTES AMERICAN (Douglass Allmond) Bank block
1902 paper published from Wells [Platt] Building; Allmond leaves paper
1905 east side of Commercial near 8th; F.H. Barnett proprietor
1906 [8-2] paper purchases property for new office on 6th Street [This appears to not have
been current corner of 6th and Q; 1912 address listed paper on 6th Street between
Commercial and Q]
1907 paper bought by J. M Post [ See 5-20-1926 ANACORTES AMERICAN]
1910 [5-12] "American to have new home." Lots purchased on SW corner of 6th and Q
1912 6th between Commercial and Q
1914 Skagit County Commissioners name ANACORTES AMERICAN official paper for Skagit County
starting 7-1-1914. All official county business will be published in paper.
1917 ANACORTES AMERICAN at corner of 6th and Q: J. M. Post
1932 [7-7] "The American is the official paper of Skagit County."
1937 Joseph and William Forman, publisher of ANACORTES AMERICAN, 6th and Q
1939 [5-4] Cornelius Root and Roy Gent new owners/publishers of paper
[6-22] former ANACORTES AMERICAN publisher Vernon McKenzie, now director of the UW
School of Journalism, has written an article published by the university warning about the
growth of fascism overseas.
1950 paper purchased by Wallie Funk and John Webber
[10-30] Funk and Webber begin American Bulletin as "successor to Anacortes Mercury,"
produced by Margaret McNary on six, then five day basis "until late 1950s."
1956 [12-30] Cornelius Root and family killed in plane crash
1961 [12-29] photo of Wallie Funk and John Webber inspecting final papers which consoli-
dates the Herald-American Publishing Company, which then also purchased both
newspapers. Change effective 1-1-1962.
1964 [7-29] Herald-American Publishing Company purchased by Scripps League; Funk and
Webber sell ANACORTES AMERICAN. 6 months later they purchase Whidbey-News Times
|Photographer||BOOEN, J. O. and EWING, David B.|
Communication - Newspaper
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk|
BOYNTON, Fred H.
BARNETT, F. H.
POST, J. M.
FUNK, Wallie Valentine [Jr.]
Post Office Building
Skagit County Commissioners
University of Washington School of Journalism
Anacortes Daily Mercury, The
Herald-American Publishing Company
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|