Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0104.002
Caption July 4, 1890
Description According to the caption for this photo in the 9-30-1954, ANACORTES AMERICAN Homecoming and History issue, p. 12, this structure was decorated for the July 4th, 1890, celebration; it was the "second or third building" in Anacortes and was located in the vicinity of 2nd Street near Cap Sante (visible behind the structure). It may well have been the hotel mentioned in the 9-10-1891 obituary of William Gray who, in 1882, brought his new bride to Anacortes and found "only an old building, still standing (in 1891) as one of the historic landmarks, had been erected . . . used as a lodging home by early settlers." In 1882, the only other building (other than a dwelling place) documented in this area of Anacortes was the Bowman store. Another building possibility is that this building was Childs' Hall, referred to throughout 1890 in the ANACORTES AMERICAN. On 1-15-1891, the paper reported, "Contractor Gaumer with a large force of men has been busy during the week in moving Childs' Hall to the corner of 3rd and Q will be occupied."
Photographer EWING, David B. - probably
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Event - 4th of July
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms 4th of July
early building
Bowman store
Childs' Hall
Object Name Print, Photographic