Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.IV.107
Caption Dr. Dodge's office
Description Dodge's Jewelry Shop. It is a close-up of the plaque out front. Hartman (Harry) L. Dodge came to Anacortes in 1901 and opened a drug store. By 1902, Harry had diversified and advertised his business at 414 Commercial as H. L. Dodge, Jeweler, Optician, pianos, musical merchandise, Edison and Victrola distributor. Dodge's business reflected the late 1800s and early 1900s, before optometry was an established profession and jewelers offered optometric services. From 1927-1929, H. L. Dodge was listed as simply, "Optometrist" at 514 Commercial. By the mid-1930s, his son Edwin had taken over the business and it remained at 514 Commercial until at least 1941, based on city directories in the Anacortes Museum collection. From 1966-1975 it was located at 712 Commercial.
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms optometrist
jewelry business
drug store
Object Name Print, Photographic