|Caption||Ramming of Skagit Riverside bridge by SWINOMISH.|
This photo of is of the SWINOMISH which sunk after hitting the Great Northern Railway Bridge on the Skagit River in December 1917. Captain Siegel was in charge. It was raised after 2.5 months.
The snagboat SWINOMISH was built at LaConner in 1903 and worked for the Corps of Engineers pulling snags out of Puget Sound waterways and local rivers from 1914 to 1929. It replaced the SKAGIT, which had been built in 1885. The SWINOMISH, in turn, was replaced by the W. T. PRESTON which was built with some parts from the SWINOMISH. It seemed fitting that this boat built to clear navigable channels was named for the Swinomish Slough, a body of water that, "for its length requires more dredging than any other navigable waterway in this state." See the SEATTLE TIMES Rotogravure, 6-8-1947.
This photo also appears in the first scrapbook compiled by Norm Hamburg, 2009.023.001.
Maritime - Boat
|Credit line||Donated by Pam Negri|
Great Northern Railway Bridge
Skagit Riverside Bridge
W. T. PRESTON
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|