Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 5626
Caption Ship Harbor 1959
Description Aerial view of Ship Harbor, at the northwestern section of Fidalgo Island, just prior to the start of construction of the Washington State Ferry Terminal, which would open there May 22, 1960. Note the old cannery buildings on the shore at center; these are all that remain from canneries that opened at this site in 1896. The April 23, 1896, ANACORTES AMERICAN states, "Big Buildings of the Fidalgo Island Canning Company and the Anacortes Packing Company nearing completion. ... Several of the Fidalgo Company's smaller buildings have been erected and work is now underway on the 80' x 325' structure. The Anacortes company has also completed their smaller buildings and is putting up their larger one."
Date 1959, June 25
Photographer DAVIS, Glenn
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Industry - Seafood Processing
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Maritime
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Fidalgo Island
north
northwest
Ship Harbor
Fidalgo Island Canning Company
Washington State Ferry Terminal
Object Name Print, Photographic