Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0161.A,B,C
Caption Machine shop / garage
Description Knapp & Ronneberger Machine Shop and Garage had its roots in Ed Knapp's Bicycle Shop, started c. 1900 with this ad in the city directory, "Knapp E. L. & Co., bicycles and repairing, Next to Post Office." In 1902 the business advertised its address as "P & 7th". By 1905 the bicycle business had become E. L. Knapp and Co. Machinists, one of several machine shops to start during that period as a result of increased canneries and lumber mills in Anacortes. By 1907, Knapp had joined forces with Ben Ronneberger as Knapp & Ronneberger, an automobile garage and, ostensibly the first "Ford dealership in the state." See 4-29-1981 ANACORTES AMERICAN. Note different locations of business below. For additional information on Knapp business, see WF 0160, 0162.
1907 Knapp & Ronneberger
1910 On 6th between O and Commercial
1911 "K & R install new glass front in auto garage" - 4/7/1911 ANACORTES AMERICAN
1912 Knapp & Ronneberger Garage 6th between O and Commercial
1923 Knapp & Ronneberger Garage on 5th Street becomes the Scott and Lyen Motor
Company. Knapp & Ronneberger establish new Ford agency, also called Anacortes
Motor Company
1923 902-904 Commercial
1934 Knapp & Ronneberger Wrecker Service
1937 902-904 Commercial Avenue
1939 gone from city directory
1960 Knapp works until retirement "a few years ago"; dies July 1960 (8-1-1960 ANACORTES
Date 1912 c.
Photographer JUDD, Charles LeRoy - possibly
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Transportation - Land
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
KNAPP, Edwin "Ed" Lyman
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Knapp & Ronneberger Machine Shop and Garage
Knapp & Ronneberger
Scott and Lyen Motor Company
Anacortes Motor Company
Knapp & Ronneberger Wrecker Service
Object Name Print, Photographic