Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0233
Caption Commercial and 7th-8th
Description P (Commercial Ave) between 7th and 8th looking north. Building at left foreground is Blackmore Building, also known as the Hensler Building, on the SW corner of 7th and P. Between c. 1900 and 1906, the Blackmore Building hosted the offices of many Anacortes medical personnel. A sign for Dr. E. E. Butler, "physician and surgeon", is visible on front of the building. Butler was instrumental in the formation off the first Anacortes Hospital. The 6-8-1905, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Will establish general hospital. Doctors Butler and Appleby are at its head. Hospital will be located in Semar Block. Will be known as Anacortes General Hospital." Butler's office is listed in the Blackmore Building in the city directory form 1900 through 1905. The Vendome Hotel is visible on the right side of photo at center on the corner of 6th and P. Note worn condition of planked street; in 1902, Anacortes City Council passed a resolution to improve Commercial Avenue from Ocean Dock to 11th Street. Old planking was to be replaced from foot of Commercial to 3rd Street; from 3rd to 11th, the planking would be removed entirely and replaced by "cement gravel." Work began that summer and the existence of planking on this section of Commercial dates photo to pre-1902.
Date 1901 c.
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Place - Commercial Avenue
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms planking
Blackmore Building
Hensler Building
physician and surgeon
Anacortes Hospital
Semar Block
Vendome Hotel
cement gravel
Object Name Print, Photographic