|Catalog Number||WF 1737|
|Caption||1939 Salmon Derby winners|
The Salmon Derby began in August 1937, sponsored by the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce.
Published on the front page of the 8-24-1939 ANACORTES AMERICAN, the winner of Salmon Derby awards were, left to right:
Marineers' Pageant Queen Alice Johnson, who christened the winning derby boat
Salmon Derby Chairman Dr. Lyle Packard, Anacortes dentist
Arnold Houle, first place winner with a 25 pound salmon, won $100.00 cash
Walter Mercer, second place winner from Mt. Vernon with a 13 pound salmon, won a completely equipped skiff as well as the raffle Reinell inboard motor boat valued at $350
Pete Thayer, 3rd place winner
Ed Erholm, 4th place winner
R. A. Bechaud, 5th place
Jennie G. (Senff) LeMaister, 6th place, "only woman catching salmon in finals"; see WF 1732, 1733
Dr. Samuel Gordon Brooks, 7th place, Anacortes physician
Bette Brown, special award for largest dogfish caught
Dr. Virgil Rose, 8th place
E. G. Childs, 9th place
Master of Ceremonies, Al Valentine, is see standing at upper left above Queen Alice Johnson
The promotion of Anacortes by organized business groups began soon after the city was platted in January 1890. The 1-18-1890 ANACORTES PROGRESS reported the incorporation of the first booster group, the Anacortes Improvement Club. Six months later, on June 26, 1890, the ANACORTES AMERICAN announced the Chamber of Commerce would build their meeting hall on P/Commercial Avenue. April of 1892 saw the formation of the Anacortes Business Men's Association. The Anacortes Board of Trade formed in January 1893, followed by the Anacortes Commercial Club in April 1901, and, finally the Anacortes Merchants Association in September 1903. The Merchants Association was apparently formed in opposition to the efforts of the Commercial Club, but the latter ended up being the club with longevity, judging from articles in the ANACORTES AMERICAN; see 1-19-1893, 4-4-1901, and 9-10-1903 issues of the paper. Support from the business community for the Commercial Club appears to have been a bit slow in coming, however. Three years after it formed, the 7-6-1906 paper reported, "Commercial Club meets, now has 70, will become active working body." This organization may have changed its name in later years to become the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, which was in existence by 1912. The Chamber actively supported the town's merchants, worked to attract business and industry, and promoted Anacortes in Washington State business circles. During the first decades of the twentieth century, the Chamber played a key role in local government decisions and politics as well. Ferd Brady was very active in the Chamber of Commerce during his years in Anacortes. The 6-23-1933 paper reported he had suggested an "advertising folder" with photographs to promote Anacortes and Fidalgo Island tourism. He took numerous publicity photos for the Chamber's benefit and use, and many found their way to Seattle newspapers for publication.
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Event - Salmon Derby
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
BECHAUD, R. A.
BRADY, Ferdinand "Ferd"
BROOKS, Samuel Gordon, Sr., Dr.
CHILDS, Ed G.
LeMAISTER, Jennie G. SENFF
PACKARD, Lyle D., Dr., DDS
ROSE, Virgil L., Dr.
VALENTINE, Almon "Al" "Wienee"
Reinell inboard boat
Chamber of Commerce
Anacortes Improvement Club
Anacortes Business Men's Association
Anacortes Board of Trade
Anacortes Commercial Club
Anacortes Merchants Association
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|