Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.IV.063.A,B,C,D
Description Located on the NW corner of Commercial Avenue and 7th Street, the Empire Theater was built in 1913. On 6-19-1913, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Will Build New Theater." The article mentions that negotiations to build the theater had been pending for some time and that the plans had been prepared. On 12-18-1913, the paper reported, "New Theater Opens Monday." The article mentions that the mural on the "Drop Curtain" is that of Snoqualmie Falls, which "corresponds to pictures of the interior of the theater." On 3-18-1927, the ANACORTES MERCURY reported, "Empire Doors Reveal Great New Theater. Reborn last night. It died and went to heaven some weeks ago but has escaped and come back to Anacortes. Theater redecorated. One of the outstanding changes is the stage curtain, the water color splash of Snoqualmie Falls, painted by Frederick Cobb, will not be so much in evidence. This part of the theater is that on which the spectators always has its eyes is important and the pioneers in stage drape designing have realized the futile monotony of the painted scene and long ago substituted rich fabric drapery." By 1957 it was no longer serving as a theater. Phil Burton, a jeweler with a shop on the street corner of this building, purchased it and later remodeled.
Subjects Business
Entertainment
Structure - Business
Place - Anacortes, WA
Place Anacortes
Search Terms Empire Theater
theater
awning
poster
Object Name Print, Photographic