|Catalog Number||WF 0550|
View taken from Weaverling Spit and looks east toward March's Point. The bridge at left appears to be the Fidalgo Bay wagon bridge. Spit named for James and Frances Weaverling who settled on the west side of Fidalgo Bay in the late-1870s, giving their name to Weaverling Spit. They filed on their claim in 1887. The 1880 U.S. Census shows the following: James, 64, farmer, born in Pennsylvania; Frances, 50, keeps house, born in Vermont; Charles, 21, farm laborer, born in Illinois; Myra, 14, born in Illinois; May, 14, born in Illinois; Liberty, 12, born in Missouri; Ida, 10, born in Missouri.
The spit became a popular picnic and camping spot in the early 1900s, often called Sunrise Park, and the site served as the meeting place for many Old Settlers Picnics (Pioneer Picnic). [See 7-29-1920, ANACORTES AMERICAN, "Old Settlers Picnic."] The 7-10-1919, edition reported the "Weaverling Spit picnic grounds filled to overflowing." On 4-13-1922, it reported on plans for improving the picnic grounds with the addition of a "combination bathhouse and dancing pavilion ... two stories in height with a bathhouse on lower floor and the dancing pavilion over it with a veranda extending out over the water." On 7-5-1928, it stated, "Picnic tables built at Weaverling Spit." The article stated that the spit was now available for swimming and picnicking through an effort of the Elks and Commercial Club in Anacortes.
There was apparently also a mine on the spit at one time. The 8-12-1920, issue reported that contractors were to explode 75 tons of high explosives on the point, blow off the old mine, and "lift the whole point off and break it up to a great extent. Rock will be used for riprapping fill being put in across Fidalgo Bay."
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Fidalgo Island
Structure - Bridge
Industry - Mining
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
|Place||FIdalgo Island, WA|
Old Settlers Picnics
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|