|Catalog Number||WF 1744|
|Caption||Lady Eagles, Anacortes lodge #249, FOE|
This is a group portrait of forty-one Lady Eagles from Anacortes lodge #249, Fraternal Order of Eagles, (FOE). Anacortes Aerie #249 was organized on August 19, 1902 with 45 members. They built their lodge at the southwest corner of 7th and Q Avenue in 1920. Women's auxiliary branches were authorized in 1926, and the Anacortes branch of Lady Eagles was founded soon afterward; they were very active in the community. See other photos of their activities in WF 1196, 1341, 1407, 1432, 1449, 1456, 1457, 1465, 1534, 1744 to 1750. Ferd Brady's writing is on the rear of this image. There is a list of names and amounts each person ordered; those names may reflect some of those pictured in the photo -- Bogort, Arneson, Strom, Veroni, Hurley, Dewey.
Fraternal organizations played an extremely important role in the Anacortes community. The Fraternal Order of Eagles is the only fraternity with its birthplace in Washington State. It was founded February 6, 1898, by six theater owners (John Cort, John Considine, T. J. Considine, Mose Goldsmith, H. L. Leavitt, and Melvin Winstock) in a Seattle waterfront shipyard. The Fraternal Order of Eagles, then called the Order of Good Things, not only welcomed the average man as a member, but fought for his right to a life of dignity and self-respect. By 1908, 1871 Eagle Clubs were chartered. It was the Eagles who started Mother's Day, who provided the impetus for social security, who pushed for workman's compensation, old age pensions and Medicare, and who ended job discrimination based on age. Harry S. Truman often reiterated that the Eagles were his type of organization - one founded by, and for, the common man.
|Date||1920s - 30s c.|
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Organization - Fraternal
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Fraternal Order of Eagles
Anacortes Aerie #249
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|