Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 2440
Caption Anacortes City Hall
Description This view of Anacortes City Hall at the northwest corner of 6th Street and Q Avenue (904 6th Street) was taken shortly after the city moved on September 25, 1947 from its former location at 1107 5th Street. The new city hall was housed in the former Elks Building. In August 1912 the lodge purchased this site for $3000 and ground was broken to begin building their new lodge on September 20, 1914. This was the former site of the "Street dance pavilion." On January 28, 1915 the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Elks hold formal dedication of new temple: cornerstone placed with impressive ceremony." The May 27, 1915 edition reported, "Anacortes Elks are now at home in new building." A photo of the building was also included in that issue. The building's dedication took place June 9, 1915, at which time their membership totaled 273. In 1920, due to increased membership, the lodge purchased three additional lots. On May 25, 1922 work began on an addition to the building, adding a third floor and an addition on the west side; the building reopened August 2, 1922, just in time for Anacortes' lodge of 1260 members to host the Washington State Elks Convention. By 1937, the Elks had moved from this building to 1009 7th Street. 1939 and 1940 Marineers' Pageant articles referred to this structure at that time as the "Community Building." Starting in 1939, a series of summertime community dances known as the Fishermen were held. In 1940 is also served as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) work center, as well as the Red Cross Center where women met to sew clothes and do work for the war effort. On September 25, 1947 Anacortes City Hall moved into the building on 6th Street and Q Avenue. As of 2013 City Hall is still based here.
Date 1948 May
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Government
Organization - Fraternal
Organization - Government
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Anacortes City Hall
Elks Building
Community Building
City Hall
Municipal building
Object Name Negative