Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1509
Caption 1947 Marineer Parade - Rotary float
Description This image from the 1947 Marineer Parade is of the Rotary float featuring women, a globe, and the motto "Service above self." Rotary Club began in Anacortes in 1922. See WF 1463, 1510 for other Rotary floats.
Buildings include, right to left:
Shell Station
Central Furniture (begun here c. 1926 through mid-1940s),
The Bank of Commerce on the southwest corner of Commercial and 6th began in the Platt Building in 1904 and moved to this location in 1926 when this new building was constructed by William McCracken. In 1937, at the height of the Depression, the Bank of Commerce closed. The building remained vacant until it was occupied by People's National Bank in 1939. See the 1-7-1926 and 1-13-1926 ANACORTES AMERICAN. In January 2009 this building is occupied by Gere-a-Deli.
To the left of the bank is Snyder's Drugs
Date 1947
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Event - Marineer Pageant
Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Event - Parade
Structure - Business
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Marineers' Pageant
Parade
Rotary Club
float
globe
Central Furniture
Bank of Commerce
Platt Building
People's National Bank
Gere-A-Deli
Snyder's Pharmacy
Shell Station
Object Name Negative