Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1266
Caption Commercial Avenue at 6th Street
Description View of Commercial Avenue decorated for Christmas. Garland stretches across the street. Christmas tree erected at the intersection of 6th and Commercial; some sort of public presentation appears to be taking place. Left side of photo: Shannon Building at the SW corner of 6th and Commercial; Pioneer Building at the NW corner, occupied by Harry Iverson's Pool Hall on the ground floor. (Located here from c.1929 through c.late 1950s). North of Pioneer Building is the Foss Building housing Buster Brown Shoes [began business c.1921 at 704 Commercial; moved to 516 Commercial c.1930 through mid-1940s] and Archie Germain, jeweler. [Germain began business c.1922 and moved to this location c. early 1930s]. Just north of Germain's is the Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost Building. On the right side of the photos: Brooks Building, home of J. C. Penney [moved here in 1928.] Vendome Hotel on the NE corner of 6th and Commercial [Note dome is removed from building; this happened in 1928: see 11-1-1928 ANACORTES AMERICAN newspaper]. McNaught Building, home of Anacortes Mercantile Co., is also visible.
Date 1930c
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Business
Structure - Business
Event - Holiday
Transportation - Land
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms J. C. Penney Co.
Brooks Block
Pioneer Building
6th Street
Christmas
Shannon Building
Harry Iverson's Pool Hall
Foss Building
Buster Brown Shoes
Archie Germain, Jeweler
516 Commercial Avenue
704 Commercial Avenue
603 Commercial Avenue
Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost Building
Vendome Hotel
McNaught Building
Anacortes Mercantile Company
Christmas
Object Name Print, Photographic