|Catalog Number||WF 2388|
|Caption||Ferry - CITY OF BREMERTON|
The CITY OF BREMERTON was built in Everett in 1901 for the Thompson Steamboat Company and originally named the MAJESTIC. Sometime after 1910, the vessel was acquired by the Puget Sound Navigation Company and renamed the WHATCOM. It served the Seattle- Bellingham route with stops in Anacortes. See the ad in the 7-19-1917 ANACORTES AMERICAN and WF 5422. Shortly thereafter, the vessel was completely replaced on this run by the KULSHAN; see WF 2390. In 1921, the WHATCOM was converted to a car ferry capable of carrying 60 cars and 1500 passengers and renamed CITY OF BREMERTON for the Seattle - Bremerton run. It was broken up in 1939. See also WF 2378, 2379, 2389.
Various ferry landings have served Fidalgo Island since 1890. The traditional landing place for passenger boats at that time was the Ocean Dock located at the foot of P/Commercial Avenue on the Guemes Channel. Vessels of "Mosquito Fleet" vintage continued to dock there until those wooden vessels gradually became obsolete and transportation routes were consolidated on the Sound by such lines as the Puget Sound Navigation Company. Starting around c. 1915, that company's Black Ball Line docked its domestic passenger vessels on the west side of Curtis Wharf which was built c. 1904 and located at the foot of O Avenue on the Guemes Channel; the company's international (Sidney, B. C.), and San Juan Islands ferries docked at the Guemes Ferry landing at the foot of Q Avenue. The Guemes Ferry, which commenced in 1913, had been started by Harry Rickaby, a boat builder whose boathouse was also based at the foot of Q Avenue, as was the City Float; see WF 0178. In 1923, a new route was added to serve Sidney, British Columbia, on Vancouver Island. With this increased business, the Black Ball Line consolidated all of its boat landings at the Curtis Dock in 1928. The 3-22-1928 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Puget Sound Navigation Company has been granted permission to move its Sidney and island ferries docking place from foot of Q Avenue to foot of O Avenue where the company's steamers have landed for years." See WF 0173, 0176.
Sometime over the next two decades, the Black Ball Line began docking at the "International Ferry Dock" at the foot of I Avenue and 6th Street. This historic side had once been occupied by the McNaught Dock, built in 1890 to service steamers and trains coming to this portion of Anacortes. See WF 0060. As the Washington State Ferry service replaced the Black Ball line, those ferries servicing the outlying San Juan Islands and Sidney, B. C., docked there. On 12-30-1949, due to rising ferry rates and a virtual monopoly by the Black Ball Line, Washington State announced it would purchase most of the equipment and operations of the Puget Sound Navigation Company. The sale took place in 1951, and Washington State Ferries began service, using the re-flagged Black Ball vessels, on 6-1-1951. In 1959, work bean on a new site for the San Juan and Sidney, B. C., ferries at Ship Harbor. The area was so-named during the mid-1800s when sailing vessels would anchor there while waiting for a tow further east into inland waters. By the 1890s Ship Harbor hosted numerous salmon canneries, such as the Fidalgo Island and Rosario canning companies. The last of the buildings associated with the cannery era were demolished to make way for the new Washington State Ferry terminal, which officially opened in May 1960. The old International Ferry Terminal at 6th and I Avenue then became the Guemes Island ferry terminal. See the 7-6-1950 ANACORTES AMERICAN for a Brogan photo of the Black Ball Line ferry at International Ferry Dock.
Wallie V. Funk compiled this partial list of ferries that served Anacortes, the San Juan Islands, and British Columbia.
1920s: CITY OF ANGELES, MT. VERNON, PUGET, CITY OF BELLINGHAM, GLEANER, HARVESTER KING
1930s: ROSARIO, QUILCENE, CITY OF BREMERTON, CROSLINE, BAINBRIDGE
1940s: VASHON, QUILLAYUTE, CHIPPEWA, NISQUALLY
1950s: VASHON, KLICKITAT, ILLAHEE, NISQUALLY
|Date||1920s c. late|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Maritime - Boat
Transportation - Maritime
Place - Anacortes, WA
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Puget Sound Navigation Company
Black Ball Line
International Ferry Dock
Washington State Ferries
CITY OF BREMERTON