Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0337
Caption Rainbow Girls Float
Description This Rainbow Girls float was in the 1940 Marineers' Pageant parade. The International Order of the Rainbow for Girls is a service organization that began in 1922 in McAlester, Oklahoma. A branch organization of the Masonic Lodge, along with Eastern Star, Amaranth, White Shrine, and DeMolay, it is open to girls between the ages of 11 and 20. Rainbow Assembly #8 was active in Anacortes at least as early as 1937; see WF 1448. Ruth Henwood, Bootie Anderson, and Laverne Baer ride on the float. This view is on Commercial between Fifth and Sixth streets. The Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost Building is visible at far right (Matt Kingsley's Insurance). DeRemer's Electrical Appliances is visible at left rear, 514 Commercial. Between 1929 and the mid-1930s DeRemer sold musical merchandise at that address; the business was called the Music House. By 1937 he was selling electrical supplies there.
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Organization - Fraternal
Event - Marineers Pageant
Event - Parade
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People ANDERSON, Norine Olive "Bootie" [REIGER]
BAER, Laverne
HENWOOD, Ruth
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Rainbow Girls
Marineers' Pageant
parade
float
Masonic Lodge
Goodwin - Benedict - Havekost Building
Matt Kingsley Insurance
DeRemer's Electrical Appliances
Music House
Object Name Print, Photographic