Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.IV.142.A,B
Description Commercial Avenue looking north from near 9th Street. Visible on left is the New Wilson Hotel, with signs on the building for the New Wilson Barber Shop and the New Wilson Club. Man on sidewalk in front of Barber Shop is probably Ervin Thayer, barber. Sign on awning above him reads: "Taxi Barber First Aid Drug". Also found is the main entrance to the New Wilson Hotel and the Wilson Pool Hall. Across 7th Avenue, still going north from the Wilson Hotel is J. C. Penney Company (718 Commercial) The 12-8-1922 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "J. C. Penney will move from current location in Keystone Block to Matheson Building". In 1928, Penney's moved to the new Brooks Block on the southwest corner of 6th and Commercial. Temple's Stationery Store is visible just north of Penney's also at 718 Commercial. Temple's began business c. 1906 and moved to this location c. 1926 and further north is Brown Bros. Clothing. The Keystone Building is visible beyond, on the northeast corner of 7th and Commercial.On right across the street from the New Wilson Hotel is Mason Furniture Store (C. B. Mason) in the Brown Building at 829 Commercial with their delivery truck in front. Mason's began business here c. 1925 and was in business through the early 1930s. Moving north is Tire Surgery, ___ Shoes, Puget Sound Power and Light occupies part of the Allmond-Barker Building, (719 Commercial) on the northeast corner of 8th and Commercial; E. P. Barker Real Estate,__, Insurance (713 Commercial), Brodahl's Confectionary (711 Commercial) with a Grocery next door. Continuing north are the Keystone Building and the Vendome Hotel.
Date 1927
Subjects unknown
Anacortes, WA
Place Anacortes, WA
Object Name Print, Photographic