Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1268.A,B
Caption Commercial and 9th, c. 1931
Description View of Commercial Avenue decorated for Christmas. This view looks north on Commercial from midway between 8th and 9th streets. Note the Christmas tree in the middle of the intersection at 6th and Commercial and swags of greenery and wreaths hung the length of the avenue. On the left side of the photo is the 1890 Wilson Building with the Save 'N Pay grocery occupying the north storefront and owned by Valentine and Wallie Funk (Sr.). The Matheson Building is visible on the northwest corner of 8th and Commercial. Built c. 1890, the building at this time housed the Eureka Pharmacy, which moved to this location in 1928. See the 8-9-1928, ANACORTES AMERICAN article titled "Two stores to move to corner of 8th." On the right side of the photo the J. R. Brown Building, built in 1891, is the second building from the edge of the photo; it appears vacant at this time, but by c. 1934 it housed Groven Mortuary. The Paramount Theater Building on the southeast corner of 8th and Commercial also appears vacant; the structure was built by Wallie V. Funk (Sr.), opened in 1929, and closed soon afterward due to the Great Depression. It would reopen as the Roxy Theater in 1933; see WF 1122. The 1915 Allmond-Barker building on the northeast corner of 8th and Commercial is also visible, as is the Keystone Building on the northeast corner of 7th and Commercial.
Date 1931 c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Business
Structure - Business
Event - Holiday
Transportation - Land
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Christmas decorations
Wilson Building
Matheson Building
Save 'N Pay
Brooks Block
Allmond-Barker Building
Keystone Building
Eureka Pharmacy
J. R. Brown Building
Groven Mortuary
Paramount Theater Building
Great Depression
Roxy Theater
Object Name Print, Photographic