Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 2584
Caption Nelson School c.1951
Description Nelson School, located at 29th and Commercial Avenue. This was the second Nelson School built in this vicinity. The first was constructed in 1884 on land donated by the Nelson family. Noah and Catherine Nelson moved to Fidalgo Island in 1882: April 4, 1882 issue of the NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE states, "Mr. Noah Nelson from Howard, MN is on his way to this place." They donated a portion of their land for a school in 1884: the March 22, 1884 NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE reads, "Miss Jessie Williams will open school in the new house just completed near Mr. N. Nelson in Section 18." That schoolhouse served as center of the community, then known as Utopia, an area absorbed by Anacortes in 1890: December 27, 1884, NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE reports, "The Christmas tree at the Nelson school house was a success. Fidalgo Island was represented from Anacortes to Similk Bay, and from Fidalgo to Lake Erie, Guemes also being well represented." A new Nelson School, the one pictured here, was built in 1902 at a cost of $3,200. Building was demolished in 1951 and San Juan Bowling now occupies the site (2009). The land was the site of the City Playfield between 1951 and c.1960-63.
Date 1951c.
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Organization - School
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - School
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Nelson School
donation
Utopia
San Juan Bowling
City Playfield
Object Name Print, Photographic