|Catalog Number||WF 1816.A,B|
|Caption||Lions Club "Pick Up" Station|
|Description||This "Pick Up" station for servicemen was located on the southwest side of Sharpe's Corner (then call Dean's Corner) at the current junction of Highway 20 and 20 Spur (Paul Luvera Memorial Highway) in front of the 2009 site of Fidalgo Country Inn. This station was sponsored by the Anacortes Lions Club to help sailors trying to get to and from the Whidbey Island Naval Base. Due to gas rationing and restricted travel, hitchhiking was one of the few ways for military men to travel. The two sailors are unidentified; the other men were all Lions Club members and are, left to right: Phil Robbins, Ray McCullough, Harry Cornell, Fred Cartwright (Anacortes banker), Dr. Ed Dodge (Anacortes optometrist), and Ken Teeter (who ran the Texaco "bulk" station and married the daughter of Archie Allan). This identification is from Margaret Hull, wife of the club's first president. See also WF 1815. The Anacortes Lions Club was chartered on January 7, 1937, primarily by young men in the community who wanted an alternative to the older fraternal organizations (Elks, Eagles, Oddfellows) that were more for "the old timers and Commercial Avenue businessmen". This information was given by Margaret Hull, wife of the club's first president, on 3-29-2003. The national Lions Club organization was begun by Chicago businessman Melvin Jones in Chicago in 1917. "He believed that local business clubs should expand their horizons from purely professional concerns to the betterment of their communities and the world at large." The photo was on the front page of the Thursday, April 8, 1943, ANACORTES AMERICAN.|
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place -Anacortes, WA
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
CARTWRIGHT, Frederick "Fred" G.
DODGE, Edwin Eugene, Dr.
Pick up station
Paul Luvera Memorial Highway
Fidalgo Country Inn
Whidbey Island Naval Base
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|