|Catalog Number||WF 1294|
Washington Park is located on the northwest corner of Fidalgo Island. Tonjes H. Havekost (c. 1841 - 12/1911) was a German immigrant who came to Anacortes in 1870 and took a claim in anticipation of the railroad terminus being developed on the north shore of the island. Following his death, the land was acquired by the city of Anacortes. The 10-16-1913, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that the Anacortes City Attorney was serving papers and making arrangements for the city's condemnation suit to acquire 181 acres around Burrows Bay for use as a city park. The 3-4-1926 edition reported that Anacortes resident Douglass Allmond, founder of the ANACORTES AMERICAN, was "instrumental" in acquiring Washington Park and later donated some of his own land to enlarge the park. Allmond's hobby was parks, and he stressed "the necessity of securing suitable wooded park sites on the island before the original stand of timber is destroyed." Other civic groups and individuals helped expand the park. In 1922 the 75-acre Green Point section and adjacent beaches on Rosario Strait were purchased with the help of the Anacortes Improvement Club. The club's enterprising women raised $315 toward the $2500 purchase price through the sale of lemon pies at 25 cents a slice. Additional lands were donated by M. R. Wood and purchased from George Hagadorn and Harry Davidson. The park landscape was altered over the years by logging in the 1890s and 1950s and, in 1990, by a devastating arctic storm that downed 400-year-old trees around Havekost Monument and the boat launch. Further damage from storms in late 2006 also can be seen. This view shows preparatory work being done on the park site. It appears to be near Sunset Beach. The name of Sunset Beach wassuggested by Anacortes business man Gus Hensler, who also served on the Park Board. At a ceremony honoring Anacortes clubwomen in 1923 and their role in securing the park land, Hensler stated, "It is pleasing to note the awakening interest taken in the public parks of Anacortes", according to the 1-25-1923, ANACORTES AMERICAN.
|Date||1930s - c.|
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Structure - park
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Women's Improvement Club