|Catalog Number||WF 1142|
Located on the northwest corner of 7th Street and N Avenue at 1202 7th Street, this church was built in 1929 after the original St. Mary Catholic Church was heavily damaged by fire in January 1924. [see ANACORTES AMERICAN, January 14, 1924]. The first Catholic services on Fidalgo Island were held in the home of Mary Benn in Deception/Fidalgo City in 1889. The island's first Catholic church was dedicated in 1904 on the Northwest corner of 7th and N Avenue, Anacortes, by Most Rev. Edward O'Dea, bishop of Nisqually [Nisqually diocese now known as the Archdiocese of Seattle (2002)]. In 1910 that church was moved west to the middle of the block between M and N. [See WF 1289] That same year, Father Gustav Treunet came to Anacortes from Elma, Washington. Prior to that, Anacortes Catholics had been serviced by the LaConner priest who also held services at the Swinomish reservation. Treunet served the parish until 1948. Following the 1924 fire, St. Mary Catholic Church was replaced by this church in 1929. The new church, constructed in "Tudor-gothic style, stucco stone-imitation," cost $40,000. It was dedicated by Bishop O'Dea in October 1929 [see January 14, 1924 and October 20, 1929 ANACORTES AMERICAN]. This church served Anacortes Catholics until May 7, 1979, when the new church was dedicated at the "Hillcrest" site near Grandview Cemetery. [see WF 1142 and WF 1143 for similar views; WF 1144 for close-up of steeple, and WF 1272, 1289]. As of February 2003, the former church at 7th and N is occupied by a boat sail business until c.2012/2013.
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Organization - Church
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
7th Street & N Avenue
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|