Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 3399
Caption interior of Wilson Hotel Lobby 1930's
Description View of interior of Wilson Hotel Lobby at 8th and Commercial. Wallie V. Funk [Sr., father of Wallie Funk,donor of this collection], is behind the lobby desk. His father, Valentine Funk, is in the front of the lobby desk at the right. The Wilson Building was constructed in 1890 by David Wilson of Tacoma, who subsequently lost the building due to financial reverses brought on by the Panic of 1893. [See FIRST VIEWS: AN EARLY HISTORY OF SKAGIT COUNTY, p. xiv.] Valentine and Barbara Funk purchased the Wilson Building in 1901; their son Wallie [Sr.] purchased the hotel business in 1916. The Funks did an extensive renovation of the hotel in 1926, an effort that coincided with the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce concerted effort to bring a "first-class hotel" to Anacortes. In January 1926, the ANACORTES AMERICAN newspaper reported "Committee Ready for Action" and announced that the Chamber of Commerce had formed a "hotel committee," headed by Douglass Allmond, to attract a premier hotel to Anacortes in order to stimulate business. [See 05/13/1926 ANACORTES AMERICAN, "Hotel committee members chosen".] The Funk's renovation of the Wilson was clearly an effort to place their hotel at the forefront of that competition. The following are highlights of ANACORTES AMERICAN coverage of the renovation: 01/21/1926 issue reported Funks were planning an extensive renovation of Wilson Hotel including the installation of a new Otis Elevator and had "purchased the lobby decorations of the Leopold Hotel in Bellingham" for use in remodeling the hotel lobby and dining room. 03/18/1926: "Ground broken for new stage depot at rear of Wilson Hotel." 05//20/1926: "Funks make plans for enlarging New Wilson". "Capacity will be nearly doubled. Valentine Funk, owner of the New Wilson, plans to invest $40,000 in project... Hotel, when completed, will be provided with same class of furnishings as Monte Carlo in Everett." 08/26/1926: "Work progresses on new building." Article reported on the new Hotel New Wilson annex on 8th Street. 04/28/1926: "Lobby of New Wilson is made elaborate." Article detailing new decor of lobby: Spanish galleons decorate lampshades, arches throughout the lower floor. "All of these galleons were designed and decorated by L. Kronquist, local commercial artist." [See Kronquist's portrait: WF 4189.] 05/05/1926 issue reported: "More than 700 at improved New Wilson Hotel opening." Report on the open house, food, orchestra, etc., Newspaper ads taken out by many local businesses in this issue, [congratulating the Funks on the hotel's renovation], reflect the importance of this event in the revitalization of Anacortes' downtown core in the late 1920s. The Funk family sold the hotel c.1954. Wallie V. Funk [Sr.] died in 1955; his father, Valentine, died in 1956.
Date 1930s c.
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Anacortes, WA
Business
Structure
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People FUNK, Wallie Valentine [Sr.]
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Wilson Hotel
lobby
Leopold Hotel
Otis elevator
Object Name Print, Photographic