Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1836
Caption 1934 Fire Department
Description Five men and two fire trucks pose in front of the Fire Department/City Hall Building located at 1107 5th Street, on south side of 5th Street between O Avenue (southwest corner) and N Avenue. The truck on the left is the 1919 Brockway chemical car; according to Chuck Tidrington of the Anacortes Fire Department, the chassis of this fire engine was in the yard of Ray Jones on H Avenue in April 2003. The engine of the right is a 1924 American LaFrance; as of March 2011 is being restored by Loren Knutzen and other volunteers. The American LaFrance cost $11,000 and was delivered to the Anacortes Fire Department on July 2, 1924, and put into service on October 10, 1924. The Anacortes Fire Department got its start soon after the city was platted in January 1890. On January 25, 1890, the ANACORTES PROGRESS stated, "Now is the time for everyone to start thinking about organizing a good fire department," evidence that from the very first Anacortes thought about fire prevention. This fire hall was built soon afterward on the south side of 5th Street in 1892. The April 7, 1892 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Firemen move into their new fire hall quarters which are in city hall." The Fire Department remained in this building until 1953, when it moved to 12th Street between Commercial Avenue and O Avenue. See also WF 0002, 0152, 1833, 1834, 1836.
Date 1934, April 1
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place -Anacortes, WA
Structure - Government
People
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Anacortes Fire Department
Fire hall
Fire engines
Brockway chemical car
American LaFrance pumper truck
Object Name Print, Photographic