|Catalog Number||WF 0927|
|Caption||AHS Commercial Club|
The Anacortes High School Commercial Club on the front steps of Columbian School. Guy Lowman, president. William Erickson, Vice President. Dennis Hill, Secretary. An "Anacortes Commercial Club", precursor to the Chamber of Commerce, formed numerous times in town, beginning in 1890, and continually sputtered out due to lack of interest. In 1899, one began again. The 03-02-1899 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "The citizens meeting appointed to receive the report of the committees on organization of a commercial club, or board of Trades, and to consider the question of making offers of sites for new industries was fairly well attended. It was voted to adopt the name and Constitution of the old Commercial Club. Douglass Allmond, secretary." Allmond was the founder of the ANACORTES AMERICAN. On 03-12-1903 the paper reported "Commercial Club incorporates." This "Commercial Club" appears to have been one that persevered for over a decade and gradually may have led to the creation of the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce. The Anacortes Commercial Club apparently inspired the creation of a similar club at Anacortes High School, not unlike the creation of the Jaycees and Key Club in the decades to come, with local businessmen acting as mentors to high school students in an attempt to interest them in the world of business. The school, built at 19th Street and J Avenue, opened in 1892 and was named for the upcoming World's Columbian Exposition, set to open in Chicago in 1893 to mark the 400th anniversary of "Columbus's discovery of America." The 10-08-1891 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported the cornerstone had been laid for the school, a Gothic creation with a tall bell tower that afforded the best view in town. The 09-05-1892 edition reported, "Columbian School opens for first students." Columbian School, which initially served all grades, became the sole site of Anacortes High School and a Junior High School c.1923. When the new high school was constructed in 1931, Columbian School became known as the Junior High School. The school was demolished in 1965.
This photograph can be found in the 1915 AHS annual (yearbook). the information under the photograph reads: "A.H.S. Commercial Club.
This is one of the enterprising organizations founded this year for the betterment of the high school as a whole and for the commercial department.
The club has purchased three pennants, one for the Library club, which was donated to that organization, one for The Anchor, and one for themselves. The Commercial Club was the originator of the "townsmen talks" given by Mr. S. D. Temple, Father Truenet and Mrs. E. G. Walsh.
Those who belong to the club are, reading from right to left, first row: Messrs. Howard Nichols, Francis Spradley, Orlyn Bolt, Clair Seymour, William Erickson, Guy Lowman, Dennis Hill, August Ottestad, Eric Fenno, Earl Kamhout, Charles Rutherford; second row, Merwin Lovelace, Carl Kirn, Karl Reilly, Herbert Rademacher, John O'Day, Henry Stankus, Clifford Lancaster, Harry Fletcher, Elmer Lifvendahl, Don Fry, Wallace Erholm, Elmer Storme, Glenn Fletcher, Edward Muhl; third row, Fannie Abbey, Aunice Sutherland, Winnifred Smith, Natalie Baker; fourth row, Theresa McLean, Louise Schucart, Rose Lundberg, Ida Dorcey and Bertha Anstenson."
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - School
Organization - School
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
TEMPLE, Steven D.
TREUNET, Gustav, Father
WALSH, E. G, Mrs.
LOWMAN, Guy Baer
KAMHOUT, Earl B.
RUTHERFORD, Charles "Chuck"
World's Columbian Exposition
Anacortes Commercial Club
Chamber of Commerce
board of Trades
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|