Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1202.A,B,C,D
Caption McNaught Building - 419 Commercial
Description The McNaught Building was built in the spring of 1890 by James McNaught of Seattle, attorney for the Northern Pacific Railroad, who held considerable property in Anacortes. It was constructed on the corner of 8th and I Avenue and initially housed several businesses, including the hardware store of G. W. Shannon. In the spring of 1904 the building was purchased by R. L. Bradley, a native of Whidbey Island, to house his business, the Anacortes Mercantile Company. During the summer of 1904 the building was moved by rolling it on large timbers to its new location on the northeast corner of 5th and Commercial. Anacortes Mercantile Company remained in business through 1927. R. Lee Bradley died in April 1927, and Lloyd Foster purchased the structure. He completely remodeled the building, adding office and apartment space (known as the Mercantile Apartments), on the building's second and third floors at a cost of $15,000. On 11-27-1930, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that local merchant Archie Allan had purchased the building from Foster. Allan had previously purchased the business and grocery stock of E. W. Cook in the "Nelson Addition" at 23rd and S Avenue. Allan's White Market was at 21st and Commercial from 1913 to c. 1954; see WF 1269. Also in 1913 he operated a slaughter and dairy house in the Skyline area which provided milk and beef for his store. The 7-30-1931 paper reported, "32 year old landmark passes into oblivion. Anacortes Mercantile Company will become Allan's Market." Allan remained in the McNaught Building until at least 1962. Note the balcony on the building's second floor, delivery trucks on the south edge of the building, and the view of Sparks Transfer, which was in business at 908 5th from c. 1926-1939; see WF1427, 1217. Ron Rieth bought and renovated the building in 1982. Richard Ballow, John Carraba, and possibly others purchased the building c. 1983 and named it the White Gull Inn. According to the 1-31-1989 paper, Vern and Lena Humber and Jeffrey Wetmore purchased the building in 1988. On January 30, 2001, fire damaged the Majestic, stopping a potential sale. By late September 2005, however, the damage had been repaired by new owners and the Majestic Inn re-opened, complete with a restaurant, spa, and 21 hotel rooms. For additional views of the McNaught Building, including in its original location, see WF 0057, 0082, 0088, 0121.

The people have been identified as: Daddy, Grampa Allan, Frank Winge, Mother or Aunt Pearl, M.L., Gramdma Allen, Maxine, John Winge, unknown clerk possibly Art Larson, unknown delivery man, Aunt Pearl or Mother
Date 1932 c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms McNaught Building
Anacortes Mercantile Company
Allan's Market
Allan's White Market
slaughter and dairy house
Sparks Transfer
Majestic Inn
restaurant
spa
Mercantile Apartments
White Gull Inn
Object Name Print, Photographic