Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0500
Caption Morrison Mill Dock
Description View of Morrison Mill Company's deep water dock at foot of Q Avenue, built c. 1929. The dock served the Morrison Mill, located on west side of Fidalgo Bay at the foot of 17th Street between Q and R avenues. The mill announced plans to build the dock in early January 1929. An ANACORTES AMERICAN article on 1-31-1929 stated, "Chamber talks for new float." It sites the necessity of the city building another float for boats. "At present there is no place for the home-owned boats to land and we need it for the island people to land here. The street-end now occupied by the Guemes ferry could be used if the ferry would move their slip to the south half of the street. This would allow the Morrison Mill to go ahead and build their dock. Harry Rickaby, in charge of the float, had not 'kept it up' because of the Morrison Mill's talk of building a new dock." The Morrison Mill began c.1891 as the McCann Mill. It became the Rodgers Mill in 1896 (see WF 0504), then became the Old Oregon Mill in 1911 (see WF 0499). In 1918, Old Oregon was purchased by the Morrison Mill Company. (See WF 0490 for more information about another mill acquired by the Morrison brothers, Fidalgo Lumber and Box.) The ANACORTES AMERICAN reported on 2-21-1918 that the new mill would employ "about 175 men once it is in operation. It is one of the few mills on Puget Sound that can handle timber up to 90' in length." The mill suffered major damage from a fire in December 1923 (See 12-6-1923 ANACORTES AMERICAN). By 1954 the mill was operating as the Ozette-Morrison Spruce Mill. It closed permanently in 1955. On 3-4-2001 the mill's smokestack was imploded due to damage suffered in the 2-28-2001 Nisqually earthquake; it was the last remaining symbol of Anacortes's lumber and mill industries that had played such a substantial role in the city's economic development form 1890 to the 1950s. (See also, WF 5765 to 5770 for other views of Morrison Mill.)

This image is an excellent view of the "City float" discussed in the 10-31-1929 ANACORTES AMERICAN article mentioned earlier; it is visible at the center right edge of photo. (See close-up view of City Float, WF 0178) In the years prior to the development of the Cap Sante Boat Haven, the City Float served fishermen, and the ferry Guemes, as a dock site. (Ferry Guemes is also visible in photo, to left of telephone pole.) Note Harbor Master's office, at base of telephone pole on far right side of image. This office belonged to Harry Rickaby, who was harbormaster for many years, and who developed the Guemes ferry service and City Float. (See Brady photos WF 1957 and 4553 for more information about this site and Rickaby.) The Anacortes Lumber & Box dock on Guemes Channel at 3rd and R is also visible in distance at upper right. (See WF 0477) Also note the "weather tower" to the left of the Harbor Master's office. A 10-16-1902 article announced that this steel weather tower was to be erected on the foot of Commercial Avenue. (See also 2-19-1903 ANACORTES AMERICAN.) It stood here until at least 1930 when an 11-20-1930 article complained that it was hidden from view and asked "Who's in Charge?"
Date 1931 c.
Photographer JUDD, Charles LeRoy
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Photograph
Industry - Mill
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Old Oregon Mill
Morrison Mill dock
McCann Mill
Old Oregon Mill
City Float
Rodgers Mill
Morrison Mill Company
fire
Nisqually Earthquake
Ozette-Morrison Spruce Mill
smokestack implosion
Cap Sante Boat Haven
Guemes ferry
Harbor Master's office
weather tower
Object Name Print, Photographic