Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0105
Description The Fidalgo and Vienna tent restaurants did not last long in Anacortes. No trace of any advertisements of them have been found in the 1890 newspapers or directory. On 2-22-1890, the ANACORTES PROGRESS reported that two "terrific blasts" on Q Avenue near 8th Street caused considerable damage, including "The tents of the Palace Restaurant and the Vienna Restaurant were badly torn." These restaurants may have been the ones referred to in the following excerpt from the 1-18-1890 edition, "Third street is becoming the business street of the town. Among the buildings are two large hotels, the Island Club House of 45 rooms, Sullivan's, a three-story building, two restaurants." The tent/building construction of the restaurants was typical of many buildings in Anacortes as the boom took hold in late 1889, early 1890. These restaurants were one of the few businesses run by women.
Photographer EWING, David B. or BOOEN, J. O.
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Fidalgo Restaurant
Vienna Restaurant
Palace Restaurant
Island Club House
Sullivan's
tent restaurants
Object Name Print, Photographic