Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 5422
Caption WHATCOM steam ferry c1910
Description Steam ferry WHATCOM. She was built in Everett in 1901 for the Thompson Steamboat Company and originally named the MAJESTIC. Sometime after 1910, the vessel was acquired by the Puget Sound Navigation Company and renamed the WHATCOM; it served the Seattle-Bellingham route with stops in Anacortes. [see ad for steamer WHATCOM in July 19, 1917 ANACORTES AMERICAN]. Shortly thereafter, the vessel was completely replaced on this run by the KULSHAN. [see WF 2388, 2390]. In 1921, the WHATCOM was converted to a car ferry, capable of carrying 60 cars and 1500 passengers, and following that conversion it was renamed the CITY OF BREMERTON for the Seattle-Bremerton run. The ship "succumbed to the ship breaker in 1939." [McCurdy. Marine History of the Pacific Northwest, p. 324, 476] See WF 2378, 2379, 2389 for other views of this ferry.
Date 1910 c.
Photographer unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Maritime - boat
Transportation - ferry
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA Guemes Channel
Search Terms WHATCOM
MAJESTIC
Steam ferry
Object Name Print, Photographic