Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0580
Caption Dewey Post Office
Description Interior of Dewey Post Office. The view was supposedly taken around the time that the post office closed and mail began being delivered out of Anacortes. The community began in the late 1870s under the name of Deception, a name taken from the Deception Mill which began on the shore there in 1878; see WF 0036. The community was renamed Fidalgo City in 1889 as real estate speculation rose with the impending approach of a railroad in Anacortes. One early settler, who arrived there at that time, recalled that the only thing in Fidalgo City in 1889, besides the mill, was the post office; see 9-30-1954, ANACORTES AMERICAN: "Dewey is thrifty; vigorous." The 6-30-1898, paper reported that the people of Fidalgo City had petitioned to change the name of their post office to Dewey to honor Admiral Dewey's victory in Manila Bay during the Philippine War. The instigator for this was purportedly the postmaster, A. Quint.
Date 1930s c.
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Fidalgo Island
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Fidalgo Island, WA
Search Terms Dewey Post Office
Fidalgo City
Deception
Deception Mill
Object Name Print, Photographic