|Catalog Number||WF 0014|
The Wilson Building was built in 1890 by David Wilson on the SW coner of 8th Street and P Avenue (now Commercial Avenue) at a cost of $35,000. Contractors were Long and Meritt. Brick furnished by See Brick Company (see ANACORTES AMERICAN 5/01/1890: "See's New Brick Yard is to furnish 1,000,000 Brick for Wilson's New Building; 5/22/1890 - "Foundation for Wilson Bank block is assuming shape.") Photo shows building almost completed; stumps of Anacortes visible at right. The Wilson saw many businesses, changes, and renovations after construction. 6/11/1891 ANACORTES AMERICAN - "Refuse from Wilson Hotel should be taken better care of and a main should be built leading to the bay." 6/18/1893 - "A ditch was being dug and a box culvert laid, connecting the Wilson Hotel with the bay." Late 1890s to 1901: Hotel known as Hotel Thomson. 1901 - Soule's Grocery established in Wilson's ground floor shop, northeast corner; stayed there until c 1922. 6/8/1905 - "William Collier has just finished putting in a fine elevator in the Wilson Block for B. (Barbara?) Funk. It is a great service to the many tenants in the block." [Anacortes's first elevator.] 6/20/1911 - "Work progressing on New Wilson: Will be strictly up-to-date. New red cement floor laid in business office. New leather covered furniture arrived this week. Men are laying a new pulp floor for cafe. Pacific Telephone Co. is installing a switchboard to which each room will be connected." 8/24/1911 - New Wilson installs "largest electric switchboard panel for the use of any house this side of Seattle." 7/20/1914 - New Wilson Hotel has had cafe remodeled, telephone installed in every room. 1/6/1916 - "The New Willson in New Hands". Purchased from Cohen and Sheedy by Wallie Funk, son of Valentine Funk, owner of the building. 1/21/1926 - The New Wilson Hotel to have new Otis Elevator installed. Mr. Funk has purchased the lobby decorations of the Leopold Hotel in Bellingham, lobby to be remodeled. 9/30/1954 - New Wilson undergoes extensive remodeling of exterior. 1962 - Building known as Cove Hotel. 7/3/1984 - The Cove Hotel "formerly know as the Wilson Block" is purchased by William Pangborn of Oak Harbor from Seattle realtor Sidney Sears.
Personal history of donor: Wallie Funk's grandparents, Valentine and Barbara Funk, owned this building and his father Wallie Funk Sr. and brother Jim worked there; 3/17/1901 - "Valentine Funk purchases the Wilson Building." W.G. Beard, "local agent for English Company," handles the transaction. English Company had obtained the building because the original owner, David Wilson, defaluts on payments." Building stayed in Funk family until mid-1950s.
|Photographer||EWING, David B.|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Business - hotel
Place - Anacortes, WA
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Anacortes Historic Register
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|