|Catalog Number||WF 0107|
|Caption||First Presbyterian Church, 1890|
Anacortes Presbyterian Tent Church,1890, at 10th Street and L Avenue. The Presbyterians purchased this tent roof from a beer hall which had moved into a frame building and no longer needed it. The tent structure was used from 7-6-1890 through 5-17-1891. Note the planked street. In October, 1890, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported there were "several churches" in town. By January 1891, the paper reported that Methodists, Episcopalians, and Presbyterians all held regular church services in Anacortes.
MORE CHURCH HISTORY: The first Presbyterian service was held 12-29-1889 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Bowman on Cap Sante. As of 3-16-1890, services were held in another Cap Sante building belonging to Mr. Bowman which was also used as a schoolroom. The congregation moved to the "tent church" the following July. On May 24, 1891, the congregation again moved -- this time to a new building erected on land donated by the Bowmans at the corner of 5th Street and R Avenue; this is the present location of the Croatian Cultural Center. In February ,1910, five lots at the corner of 9th Street and M Avenue were purchased from the Great Northern Railroad Company for $1000 for the purpose of building a new church and a manse. The first services were held in new building in 1916. The manse was moved to 10th Street, when the new educational wing of the church was constructed in 2001and is now a residential home.
|Photographer||BOOEN, J. O.|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Structure - church
Place - Anacortes, WA
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|