Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1082
Caption Anacortes Ice Company
Description Anacortes Ice Company was established by E. Van Buren in 1906 at the foot of O Avenue on Curtis Dock. In 1911 the company officers were listed as E. A. Phillips, president, Melville Curtis, secretary and treasurer. The 4-30-1913 ANACORTES AMERICAN advertised it as selling, "Cypress Brand Ice Cream, carbonated drinks, and Cypress Island Mineral Water." An article also stated the business, "owns and operates the largest feed mill in Skagit County with daily capacity of 25 tons." In 1917 the directory listed Edgar Van Buren as manager of the business, described as "Ice manufacturers and bottlers." That same year, William "Bill" McCracken bought an interest in the company from Van Buren and Curtis. The business expanded by opening plants in Sedro-Woolley (1922) and Mt. Vernon (1942). By the mid-1960s the plant serviced all of Skagit County, Whidbey Island, and the San Juan Islands. It was not listed in the 1975 business directory. Note the delivery truck with "Skagit Maid" products logo. See WF 1083 for an interior view of the office.
Date 1940s - c. early
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Transportation - Land
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Anacortes Ice Company
Curtis Dock
Cypress Brand Ice Cream
carbonated drinks
Cypress Island Mineral Water
feed mill
ice manufacture
Skagit Maid
delivery truck
Object Name Print, photographic