Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.III.148.A,B,C
Caption Anacortes Bicycle Club
Description Photo of the Anacortes Bicycle Club. Valentine and Barbara Funk are at far left with their son, Wallie (Sr.), on the handlebars. Anacortes experienced a "bicycle frenzy" in the 1890s, as did the rest of the country, resulting in the formation of this club. The frenzy resulted from the work of the "League of American Wheelmen" who had organized in 1880 to lobby American communities for better roads for biking. Their passion for riding soon sparked a new craze across the United States. The 1890s saw everyone taking to the two-wheeled contraption including those of Fidalgo Island. In 1893, W. W. W. Bicycles opened on March's Point; owner C. E.Ingalls offered "special Prices to Clergymen" in an ad in the 4-20-1893 ANACORTES AMERICAN. Bicycles even provided a source of revenue for the city of Anacortes. The 7-56-1893 paper reported, "Tax on bikes of $1.00 each to go into bicycle fund." For more information, see "First Views: An Early History of Skagit County."
Date 1896
Photographer Unknown
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Organization
Transportation - Land
Recreation
People FUNK, Barbara MILTENBERGER
FUNK, Valentine
FUNK, Wallie Valentine [Sr.]
INGALLS, C. E.
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Anacortes Bicycle Club
bicycle
League of American Wheelmen
W. W. W. Bicycles
Object Name Print, Photographic