Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0075.A,B
Description The NOBAR HOTEL was built by Charles L. Haggard at 2nd and O Ave. in February 1890. The ANACORTES PROGRESS reported on 2-1-1890, "C. L. Haggard's new hotel on 2nd and O will be completed in two weeks." No bar was installed in the hotel, hence it was called the Nobar Hotel, "a dry island in a sea of saloons." That characterization was borne out by the 5-3-1890, coverage of the International Order of Good Templars meeting, (a temperance organization): "IOGT Basket Party: Members of the IOGT gave a basket party at the Nobar Hotel to which members and visitors attended filling up the seating capacity of the dining room to its 'full' extent; it is thought to be truthful: cold water drinkers never get full. Musical and literary exercises." On 12-4-1890, the hotel advertised in the ANACORTES AMERICAN: "NOBAR HOTEL: $2.00 to $2.50 per day. Board $7.00 a week. Rooms $3.00 to $6.00 per week. C. L. Haggard proprietor." One of Nobar's more distinguished guests was noted Northwest historian, U. W. Professor Edmond Meany, member of the executive committee for Washington's participation in the 1893 Worlds Columbian Exposition in Chicago. Meany stayed there 12-4-1890, on his inspection tour of Island and San Juan counties. Both the Nobar and a small building to its left were moved to Commercial Avenue. On 10-29-1891, the ANACORTES AMERICAN announced, "L. H. Jansen has purchased one-story building next to Nobar Hotel and moved it to P Avenue, next to Schmidt's drug store." A view of the building in its new location may be seen in WF 0080. On 9-3-1891, the paper announced, "Nobar Hotel 30 rooms for sale or lease on account of sickness in family of proprietor: Apply to C. Haggard." It is unknown at this time what happened between that date and 1898 when it was purchased by Wallie Funk's grandparents. The 8-25-1898 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "V. Funk has bought the NW corner of 6th and P and will move the old Nobar building to the recently acquired realty and occupy it with his stock of groceries"; 12-8-1898 "Nobar building finally on the move, Mr. Funk having secured the services of 6 experienced housemovers from Seattle. To his lot at corner of 6th and P"; 12-15-1898 "The No Bar has met with no bar to impede its promenade up P Ave to its new premises"; 3-30-1899 "V. Funk's building at the corner of 6th and P is being remodeled inside and out and when completed will be attractive." The bottom floor served as retail space, including Funk Hardware, until 8-24-1905, when the business was sold to Davey Brothers Hardware. The top floor served as the Pioneer Hotel until c. 1930. The 12-5-1962 ANACORTES AMERICAN article by Mondhan states the "top two floors were eventually removed." For an early view of the hotel in its original location, see WF 0042; for latter location see WF 0078, 0116.
Date 1890 c.
Photographer EWING, David B.
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Animal - Horse
People
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Nobar Hotel
Pioneer Hotel
temperance
International Order of Good Templars
hotel
hotel rate
1893 Worlds Columbian Exposition
Schmidt's Drug Store
housemover
Funk Hardware
Davey Brothers Hardware
Object Name Print, Photographic