|Caption||Nelson School - 1904|
This view is of the second Nelson School, built in 1902. The first Nelson School was constructed in 1884 on land donated by the Nelson family. Noah and Catherine Nelson moved to Fidalgo Island in 1882. the April 5, 1882 NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE reported, "Mr. Noah Nelson from Howard, Minnesota, is on his way to this place." They donated a portion of their land for a school in 1884. The March 22, 1884 edition reported, "Miss Jessie Williams will open school in the new house just completed near Mr. N. Nelson in Section 18." That schoolhouse served as the center of the community, then known as Utopia, an area absorbed by Anacortes in 1890. The December 27, 1884, edition reported, "The Christmas tree at the nelson school house was a success. fidalgo Island was represented from Anacortes to Similk Bay, and from Fidalgo to Lake Erie, Guemes also being well represented." The new Nelson School, cost $3200, later an addition was added to the school. The entire school was demolished in 1951 and San Juan Bowling now (2009) occupies the site. The land was the site of the city Playfield between 1951 and c. 1960-1963.
Bottom of photograph reads: "Public School Anacortes, Wn. Fred D. Cartwright Supt. 1904"
|Collection||Duane Nystrom Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Organization - School
|Credit line||Donated by Duane Nystrom, 2009|
CARTWRIGHT, Frederick "Fred" Daniel
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|