Framed color photo of the W. T. PRESTON taken in 1981 near 520 bridge and Lake Washington by Mike Keller. Photo taken from float by Husky Stadium at Union Bay. Printed by Finn's Photo. Donor has original slide. Matted and framed by Scott Milo Gallery.
The wood-hulled snagboat W. T. PRESTON was built c. 1929, using some components (sternwheel and engines) of the vessel it replaced, the SWINOMISH. The W. T. PRESTON, named for the only civilian engineer then working for the Corps of Engineers, served the Corps form 1929 to 1939, pulling snags out of Puget Sound waterways and local rivers. A new steel-hulled, 163' W. T. PRESTON was then built at the Lake Union Drydock in Seattle, again using material from the wooden boat it replaced. In 1981 the W. T. PRESTON, "last Puget Sound sternwheeler" was retired. She went on display in Anacortes in 1983.
|Credit line||Donated by Mike and Sue Keller|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|